Hiʻilei Manoʻi-Hyde, Haku Mele

54028_457071004343212_1627756966_oHiʻilei Manoʻi-Hyde is a graduate of Leeward Community College.  She is currently at the Hawaiinuiakea School of Hawaiian Knowledge at the University of Hawaii at Mānoa where she is double majoring in majoring in Hawaiian Studies and Hawaiian language. She plans to focus on education and become a college professor.

A fluent Hawaiian language speaker and prolific composer, Hiʻilei is a talented young woman who enjoys sharing her culture.  She writes:

I am very passionate about the Hawaiian culture and Hawaiian values, and my hope is to be able to instill the same desires I have in students, for they are the future leaders of Hawaii.  My heart yearns to see the brilliance of our ancestors thriving in the minds of the next generation. Furthermore, I find my college education a necessity.  I am grateful for opportunities such as Pūpū A ʻO ʻEwa to be able to share my work with other Native Hawaiian students.

She has won numerous Ka ʻUmeke Kāʻeo achievement awards for her mele, including Keahihi’ipoikamana’o’i’ookalaniNo Namaka Kailialoha laua O Alea Hoohihikeaumoe, He Mele Hanohano, and No Kahakuohawaiʻi.  Pūpū A ʻO ʻEwa is proud to showcase the works of this gifted composer and performer.

Credits: photo courtesy of Hi’ilei Manoi-Hyde. Mahalo nui loa to Video Production Manager Les Matsuura and the video crew at the Educational Media Center – Leeward Community College.